Sunday, January 29, 2012

What are the acceleration times for a 1970s standard vw beetle?

with a 1600 engine? supposedly the 1300 super beetle 0-60mph 18.4 seconds which is extremely slow. The reason I ask is I can buy a cheap one that is extremely good cond thats looks super cool, is the acceleration really that bad for these cars. I dont need it to be fast but something at least capable of keeping up with the traffic and overtaking when need be on highways. Are there simple cheap mods to make acceleration decent?What are the acceleration times for a 1970s standard vw beetle?I timed my 100% stock 1973 Volkswagen Beetle with a 1600cc 46hp, and it ended up being 17.9 seconds. They are very powerful, especially for the low hp. Not the best accelerators, but they do go.



By the way, it does keep up with traffic. I never floor it, ever, and I pass cars like hell. I do 75 a lot with mine. I often surpass 80 uphill. And it gets there without a problem. It often wants to accelerate past redline, going uphill. I don't even have a Super Beetle. It isn't fast, don't get me wrong, but that asshole that answered first obviously never drove one.



Plus, name ONE car with UNDER 50hp that can do a good burnout, other than a classic Volkswagen Beetle. I even get it chirping in 2nd.What are the acceleration times for a 1970s standard vw beetle?Yes even the Super Beetle will not keep up with traffic. Top speed is probably 70 mph too.



All but the top of the line pre 1973 muscle cars and sports cars would be very slow by modern standards. The Super Bettle would be slow by any standards.



BTW for an idea of how slow 18 seconds 0-60 is look at a semi. Modern ones can do 0-60 in around 20-22 seconds unloaded. A Smart car is the only thing I can think of that cant do 0-60 in less than 11 seconds.



Prime - You seem to have a serious case of little man syndrome probably caused by driving that "very powerful" car. Like it or not top speed was listed as 80 mph. Given that this was 30+ years ago you can be sure that its not going to get faster. Being able to chirp the tires in 2nd gear is due to the 60+ year old suspension design and small tires not power.What are the acceleration times for a 1970s standard vw beetle?if you want one, forget speed and power. They never had any.
  • mbusa
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment