Sunday, January 29, 2012

How do I replace the door seals on a 1973 VW Super Beetle?

I need to replace the weatherstriping along the whole door.How do I replace the door seals on a 1973 VW Super Beetle?Doc's got it about right, but I like 3M Super weatherstrip adhesive (black) part #08001. Brush a bead on the door, another on the rubber %26amp; let them dry. Add a fresh bead to the door, then install.How do I replace the door seals on a 1973 VW Super Beetle?Your best bet is to start with good-quality seals such as those sold by California-based West Coast Metric.

Remove the old seals from the car, being careful to not leave any pieces in the grooves. Use a good grade of contact adhesive such as Permatex or Dupont trim %26amp; seal adhesive %26amp; drop a bead in the groove- I started installing my door seals in the top corners of the doors and worked my way around them, careful not to stretch the seals. Keep the glue handy!. You'll want to remove the door-stays to get the seals all the way on- do not cut the seals! In all, it's an easy job and gives great results.

No comments:

Post a Comment