Thursday, February 23, 2012

I purchased a VW today and it didn't come with a spare key, How do I replace locks and keys? Is it expensive?

My Jetta came with three keys: 2 keyless entry flip keys and 1 valet key. In my area it costs $225 to replace one keyless entry flip key and $75 for the valet key. Replacing the locks and keys would cost over $1000 easily. All keys must be made by VW (though there is currently a class action lawsuit against VW for their monopoly on replacement keys).I purchased a VW today and it didn't come with a spare key, How do I replace locks and keys? Is it expensive?don't know what you mean "replace locks" but you have 1 of 2 options...



1: go to a vw dealership and ask to have a spare key made. you will have to show some sort of id...it will prob. be around $50 or up. now a days, they don't need the key, or atleast that's what i've known. they have the key configuration stored in their computer system and have it cut from there. i don't have a newer car or laser cut key or anything and they are able to do that.



2: wait till you lose it and then get a new one (see above about why they don't need you key). i would make sure that this applies to vw, but i can't imagine saturn is ahead of them.



whatever you decide, you're going to need to contact your dealership and ask. perhaps a spare was included (as it usually is with new cars) and they simply neglected to give it to you.I purchased a VW today and it didn't come with a spare key, How do I replace locks and keys? Is it expensive?
If its an original key and lock on the vehicle, then you can go to the dealership and order a spare key using your VIN number.







I purchased a VW today and it didn't come with a spare key, How do I replace locks and keys? Is it expensive?go to the VW dealership. it's a pain in the butt. i had to get this done for my 2004 passat. bring them your ID, title, registration, VIN. it takes a few days for it to come in. Valet key was $125. normal $175. i had this done last month in syracuse, NYI purchased a VW today and it didn't come with a spare key, How do I replace locks and keys? Is it expensive?
Ouch!!!!



There is a reason that they dealer doesn't want to include the extra keys... the 'switch blade' key is about $250 in my area, and the valet key is about $150. But you have to have proof of ownership and they can cut it for you, i believe that the lock replacement is going to be cost prohibitive .I purchased a VW today and it didn't come with a spare key, How do I replace locks and keys? Is it expensive?keys are not that expensive on ebay. I bought one and then realize that it does not work for my car. I have the 99 jetta and I selling my key on craigslist for 50.00. what year is your car?



jetta girl

No comments:

Post a Comment