Thursday, February 23, 2012

How are VW's in terms of reliability?

The new jetta's and GTI lok nice but I am concerned about VW's reliability (Consumer Reports)? Would it be good for first cars. I have also heard complaints about VW reliability for owners.How are VW's in terms of reliability?In a word, uncertain. VW has slipped in the European JD Powers initial quality ratings to 34 out of 37 manufacturers (this is going on memory; I'm not taking the time to dig that one out.)



Basically, VW is having a LOT of problems with electrical components and more complex sub-assemblies. Their cars are very well designed, and are EXTREMELY sturdy, but they come in two flavors - tank and lemon. I've had friends and clients who have had the same car, same model year and one is thrilled, the other is ready to take a flame thrower to the dealership.



If you're interested in a VW, remember "less is more." Avoid the New Beetle. Stick with the base four cylinder models, and avoid complex electrical components.



Just be aware - the TDI (turbo diesel) option is GONE - no longer imported, and if you can find one now, they're premium priced.How are VW's in terms of reliability?
Everyone that I know that owned a VW brand new or used. They all had issues and problems with their cars.Spend your money somewhere else.

Report Abuse

How are VW's in terms of reliability?I have a 2006 Jetta TDI and so far so good. Only concern is that the speedometer is about 3 miles fast and they do not have a fix for it, but other than that minor inconvenience it is a great car.
Me and my family have owned VW's (including an 06 jetta) for years and have had absolutely no problems with them...they are incredible cars.How are VW's in terms of reliability?I have two VW's. First is a 2002 Jetta GLI VR6 24V 6 speed. The second is a 2003 Jetta 1.8T 5 speed. Love them both.How are VW's in terms of reliability?
great. highly recommend
As noted on previous questions about VWs, I have had 3 Golfs:

1987, 1995, and 2000.



The first one had 180,000+ miles on it after 8 years on the original clutch. My husband drove it for a while, and I'm not sure what he did with it after we separated.



The second on went 175,000+ miles in six years on the original clutch when I bought the third one. My boyfriend then drove it; we replaced the clutch at around 190k, and it had almost 250,000 miles when it died.



Now the third one just turned 158k this week after 5 1/2 years with the original clutch. I have to say that this one has needed less maintenance, most likely due to engineering improvements, like better hoses, etc.



I worked at a couple VW dealers in the late '80s and found that most owners loved the cars, even the ones that did have repair issues. It seemed that the manual transmissions have better reliability - plus they are the most fun to drive and are better on gas (all 3 of mine got 28-30 M.P.G. on average). The weakest point has been electrical issues. My first had manual everything, so no problems; the second had power locks which eventually gave out; the current one has power windows and locks, I had to do a window repair (for which I was reimbursed by VW through a recall) and the locking system now has issues.



I'm saving up for a new car and am facing a tough decision; because I am so at home in those cars after 500,000+ miles behind the wheel. I still love driving them and know that I can really drive when I have an open road that twists and turns or a straight-away on the highway. I also love that I know they'll get me through all conditions I experience here in NJ: cold, icy winters; rainy, wet springs; hot, humid summers; plus trips around the region into NY City and Philadelphia, up into the Pocono mountains and down to the shore.



However, my son is 15 and he and his friends are basketball players and don't fit so comfortably in my back seat. So the new Rabbit (which is SO cute!) is not really an option. The Touareg, which I have always wanted is too expensive to buy and fill-up. The new Eos convertible is HOT, but again there's not a lot of rear passenger room. So I'm looking at the crossover SUVs that other manufacturer's have... If only there were a VW in-between the Rabbit and Touareg - the ultimate crossover (sigh).How are VW's in terms of reliability?
Volkswagen is consistently ranked at the bottom of lists for reliability. In a word, they suck.
I loved my 2000 Passat V6, but at about 65K it needed a major computer component that was almost $1000. The alloy wheels pitted badly in the Northeast - something that shouldn't happen on wheels of that price. It also got lousy gas mileage on premium fuel.



VW has not fared well on JD Power for many years now.
I've got 64,000 kms on my 2003 Golf and it runs great. It's only been in the shop for regular maintenance.
owner of over 12 vws- now in scion for this one time around the block until they become more conisitent after my last love/ hate relatinship with my GTI

vw owners either love or hate their car- based on either your car is fantastic or it is always on the shop- there seems to be no in between- they have had major issues with consisitant relability from thier suppliers of electrical componets and assemblies
Amazing. I know of VW's that have lasted 700,000+ miles.
i havea 99 with over 180000 miles and i still smoke other cars without a problem, my car runs great and even though mines older then wat ur thinkin bout gettin their engines r known 2 b bullet proof so i say gohead and get it, beat on it all u want u wont break it

No comments:

Post a Comment